Wednesday, August 31, 2005

New Orleans

The past few days have stirred up memories of visits to New Orleans. I remember Mardi Gras, 1965, and a summer visit in 1966. I drove near there on Interstates 10 and 12 as recently as December, 2001, but didn't go into the city.

It's a beautiful, graceful city. My heart goes out to its people in this time, and to the people in Mississippi, Alabama, and other states who have also been devastated.

This disaster brings to mind a post by a friend last winter, after the Tsunami. He was quoting a friend of his who came upon the following lines from Habakkuk after 9/11:

"Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior."

Habakkuk 3:17 - 3:18

Sadly, his thoughts also seem to apply now, in this tragedy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home